While Mr Opoes is away I’ve tried to make quick and easy meals as I need the meal to be cooking while I’m bathing the children. So tonight I decided to make my ‘special’ zucchini slice. So what’s special about this recipe? It’s a great way to use any leftovers you might have and it’s great for picnics, school lunches, finger food at parties and it tastes great cold. It’s a great all-rounder. So follow the basic recipe and if you want you can add any additional items during step 2.
Special Zucchini Slice
3 zucchini (courgette), grated
3 mushrooms, finely chopped
½ cup corn kernels
1 packet of wok-ready noodles or 2 cups cold boiled rice
1 cup of grated cheese
200 grams fetta cheese, crumbed
1 cup of diced chicken or any other protein
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup of oil
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper to season
1. Pre-heat oven to 180˚C.
2. Grease a lasagna dish with cooking spray or a knob of butter.
3. Collect all your ingredients. Combine the zucchini, mushrooms, corn, noodles, cheese, fetta and chicken in a bowl.
4. Add the flour and mix together well.
5. Add the eggs, oil and seasoning. Mix together well, making sure the dry ingredients is covered by the wet ingredients.
6. You don’t want the mixture to be thick, this will make the slice heavy. Try adding an extra egg.
7. Pour into a lasagna dish, flatten with a fork and bake for 30 minutes or until set.
8. Serve hot or cold with a salad, chips or garlic bread.
Variations: depending on the amount of additional ingredients added you may need one or two additional eggs. You can also make these in a muffin tin, adjust the cooking time to 15 minutes.