The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Thursday 20 September 2012

Zucchini Spaghetti with Pea Pesto

The other week I needed a few essentials items that we'd run out of so I ducked into Coles as it was closer to where I'd parked the car. As I entered Coles I saw that they had their monthly magazine out so I grabbed one. I love getting this free magazine, it gives me the opportunity to try out new recipes on the children and it also helps introduce new meals into our somewhat boring nightly meals.
 
We eat meat every second night and I always struggle to find a vegetable inspired meal that the children will enjoy and eat. So when I saw this recipe for Zucchini Spaghetti I knew that I had to give it a try because the kids all love zucchini's and they're also priced within my budget. So I made it for dinner the other night but I had to make a few changes as the kids don't like peas and I didn't have time to make my own pesto.
 
The original Curtis Stone recipe can be found here. I added more spaghetti and two extra zucchini's. So here is my modified version, it's a bit quicker than Curtis's recipe.
 
Zucchini Spaghetti with Basil Pesto
Ingredients
500g spaghetti
6 large zucchini's, grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 tablespoons basil pesto
grated parmesan cheese
 
Method
1. Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water according to the directions. Drain.
2. Grate zucchinis lengthways into long julienne pieces. Squeeze some of the water out of each zucchini and place the useable zucchini on a few paper towels. Heat the oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Cook the zucchinis for 3 - 4 minutes. Turn frying pan off.
3. Add the spaghetti to the zucchini and stir well.
4. Add the pesto and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve topped with parmesan and a green salad.
 
via Coles Website.
 
Megan

2 comments:

  1. Megan...this sounds and looks delish...need to add it to my list...thank you so much for sharing...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy it is a really nice and light dish. When I find all my cooking things I will try to make the pea pesto. It's also great that all the kids love this meal. Thanks for the opportunity to link up.

      Delete