The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Friday 4 May 2012

Easy Sausage Rolls

I'd pulled out some chicken sausages and some turkey mince from the freezer earlier today and I had no idea of what I'd be doing with either one of them. I did have nine hours to research the internet in the hope of finding something that everyone would eat but Quinlan didn't have his usual sleeps. I didn't get time to find a recipe, shop for the ingredients and then do the prep work prior to Mr Opoes coming home.

So what I decided on making was a traditional sausage roll using the turkey mince, capsicum, broccoli, parsley and basil. For the children I made sausage rolls using the chicken sausages, egg wash and puff pastry. These sausage rolls would be great as finger food for a birthday party, they would be good to take on a picnic or you could even pack them in your children's lunchboxes. With Caelan and Mackenna going off to school and kindy today these sausage rolls are a great alternative to ham sandwiches.

I didn't have any time to take photographs but the instructions are really easy to follow so you should be able to get the idea of what I'm talking about when you see the end result.

Easy Sausage Rolls
9 chicken sausages
2 sheets puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons water

Instructions
1. Pre-heat the oven to 210°C or 200°C if you have a fan forced oven.
2. Place a piece of baking paper on the baking tray and lightly grease.
3. Take the puff pastry out of the packet and sit it down on the bench to defrost a little.
4. Cut the sausages in half and set aside.
5. Take the puff pastry and cut it into 9 even sized squares.
6. Place your sausage on the pastry at a 45 degree angle.
7. Wet the edges of your pastry with a little bit of water.
8. Roll the pastry over the sausage and placed it onto the baking tray.
9. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before serving with chips and sauce.

The best thing about dinner was that they all ate it, they asked for seconds and they all requested that I make these again. Thank you for the brilliant idea Lord, its been ages since I've had them all liking the same meal. The other good thing about this meal is that you can use any flavoured sausage and the children will probably eat them. My children don't like to eat pork, lamb or turkey so next time I'll be using pork or lamb inside the pastry. In summer I'll serve these with a lovely garden salad.

Megan

2 comments:

  1. Those look so yummy! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kid's loved them and they were great for school lunches the day after. I wish I'd made more. Next time I'm going to see if I can sneak a vegetable or two in with the sausage. Thanks for the love :)

      Delete