The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Slow Cooked Corn Chowder

I recently purchased a few cookbooks as I'd come to the realisation that I was generally cooking the same meals week after week. Although they were meals that the majority of the children (three out of four) ate we were all getting a bit bored of them. So when I walked into the book shop looking for a classic CWA book I was really surprised when I found a selection of 'Food Lovers' books that took my fancy. The shop was having a sale which would allow me to purchase three books for $12 so I walked way with three additional books to add to my collection yah.
 
 
During winter I love to use my slow cooker as it frees up the day and I can go about doing other things while dinner is cooking slowly on the bench. So the first recipe I decided to try was the 'Corn Chowder' but I wanted to put my own little spin on it so that I could give a few extra vegetables to the kids.

Corn Chowder.
Serves 6
Ingredients:
800ml chicken broth (stock)
450g corn kernels
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced (optional)
1 onion, diced
300g broccoli
2 sticks celery, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
7 tablespoons cream
200g cooked chicken, diced (optional)

Method:
1. Add the broth, corn, potatoes, capsicum, onion, broccoli, celery, salt and pepper into the slow cooker pot.
2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Using a potato masher, partially mash the mixture until thick. Alternatively, you can use a stick blender and blend it all together. Stir in the cream and cooked chicken, if using. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
4. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Serve with a small bread roll of toast fingers.

The recipe states that you'll get 6 serves from the chowder, however I was able to get a heap more than that but that's because I had four little people eating it. What was great about the amount of chowder I'd made up meant that I had enough soup leftover to use it for lunch the following day for the kids and I. I also made a toasted cheese sandwich to accompany the soup as I have an eight year old with a huge appetite and his two little sisters who want to keep up with him.

So if you're looking for a great meal that you can cook while your at work for the day or while you're busy with the children then this slow cooked Corn Chowder is the meal for you. So give it ago and leave me a comment to let me know if you liked it or not.


Megan

2 comments:

  1. I love corn chowder, but I've never made it. This recipe seems so doable! Can't wait try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenifer it is so doable. I've made soups in the slow cooker before and they've never been as nice as the chowder. My husband hates corn but he happily ate this and even asked for leftovers for work the following day so in my books that's a winner :) Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to here how your chowder turns out...

      Delete