The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Monday 25 November 2013

Christmas Tree: Ribbon Wrapped Tree

I've had a few polyfoam cones lying around the house since last Christmas season and I got to thinking that I probably should get around to using them otherwise they'll still be sad looking Christmas Trees next year. After searching Pinterest I found a few different trees that I liked the look of and with these images pinned to my Christmas board I got to thinking about what I wanted to achieve.

Last year I attempted a ribbon tree and it just didn't work out very well as the ribbon I'd used had an elastic band made it difficult to attach to the polyfoam cone. My mother loved it so I gifted it to her and she ended up using it on her Christmas mantel. So this year I was looking for something similar when I stumbled across some fabric wrapped trees at Landee See Landee Do. Her simple instructions are easy and that was what I was looking for.

Supplies Needed:
polyfoam cone
ribbon
sewing pins
1. Take two pieces of ribbon and pin them over the point the of the cone so that it creates a cross. Push the pins down on a 45 degree angle so they don't stick out the sides.
2. Tuck the start of the ribbon under one of the pieces of ribbon that formed the cross. If it's too lose undo one of the pins and place the ribbon under the cross and secure it with the pin again.
3. Begin wrapping ribbon around the cone as you make your way down the cone. Pin every once in while to secure it. Just a tip, place the pin near the bottom of the ribbon so the next layer covers the pin.
4. As you get to the bottom, try pinning the ribbon under the the cone. If your ribbon isn't wide enough work your down the bottom of the cone and then fold it on a 45 degree angle, securing the ribbon under the bottom of the cone.
5. I also placed a pin inside the fold so that the ribbon didn't  become unfolded. Now if you are worried that the pin might damage the surface its going to sit on you could try gluing a piece of felt on the bottom of the cone.

I've got a few more polyfoam cones in different sizes plus some silver ribbon so I'm going to wrap a few with silver ribbon to create a small little Ribbon Wrapped Christmas Tree community. I'll just have to find a safe place to put them so that four sets of little fingers don't get them before the big day.

So what do you think? The possibilities for these trees are endless, you could use fabric, burlap, a jumper, sequins. See I told you, endless possibilities.

Megan

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm really happy with how it looks and I can't wait to make more.

      Delete
  2. beautiful Megan, simple but so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel I'm really happy with it to. I'm also happy that it didn't take too long to make which is always good.

      Delete
  3. Love the concept, love the finished product. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the concept, love the finished product. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee. These were so simple to make and I think they are well worth the money and time spent. I'll be putting them away safely for next year because I like them so much. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. this is SOOO cute! I love the color too! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays!! Come on over next week when I kick off my new party and a BIG giveaway too! Emily

    ReplyDelete