The adventure of trying to make a house a home that we built for our family of six plus some craft, home décor, recipes & any family fun we might have.

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Eye Ball Cupcakes

For the last few weeks some shops have had a small selection of Halloween decorations for sale and it was while I was out with one of the children that I thought I'd attempt to do something to symbolise Halloween. Ever since I can remember Halloween has never been a big thing in Australia, in my thirty plus years we've only ever had trick or treaters knock at our door three times and we've never had anything on hand to give away.
Technically this is our first Halloween in the new house so I thought I'd make a fairly simple cupcake that I'd be able to put together quickly so that if we had people knock on the door I'd be able to give them something without having to pretend we aren't home. The best thing about this recipe is that you don't have to spend a heap of money and there isn't many special items you need to buy - so its a win win for everyone.
 
When I'm backing I generally like to make my own cakes, I usually buy gluten free mixes as it allows me to make something quick, late at night when I've realised I need something the following day. For this particular recipe I used six ingredients and I had everything was done within four hours but this was because I made mine at nigh time and I didn't have any of the children needing my attention.
 
Quick Halloween Cupcakes
Ingredients:
your favourite chocolate cake mix
eggs, butter and milk according to packet
cupcake wrappers
icing sugar
food colouring
¼ cup of coconut
Nestle Areo bubbles, Maltesers or any other round chocolate ball shaped lolly

Method:
1. Follow the instructions on the back of the box.
2. Spoon the cake mixture into the cupcake wrappers and bake in the oven at the temperature on the box. Reduce the cooking to 20-25 minutes, check to make sure they are cooked in the centre.
3. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.
4. Mix icing sugar, butter and water together to make a soft but usable icing.
5. Add a drop of green food colouring to the coconut and mix until the coconut has changed colour.
6. Once the cupcakes are cool, place a small amount of white icing on top of the cupcake. Take the Areo bubble and place it in the centre of the cupcake.
7. Take a small amount of white icing and place it on the Areo bubble and decorate using black icing to resemble an iris. If you want to make them look even scarier use red icing on the eye ball.
8. Trick or treat they are now ready to eat.
The best part of making these Eye Ball Cupcakes is that if you don't use all the chocolates then you can sit and eat them while the trick and treaters come knocking on the door. The kids got to eat some of these today and they really loved them so it looks like I'll be making these again. So do you have a special Halloween food you make or do you purchase lollies and give them out when kids coming knocking?
 
Megan

3 comments:

  1. Generally just hand out lollies or do the whole "not at home" thing. These are a great idea & something a bit different for the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally just hand out lollies or do the whole "not at home" thing. These are a great idea & something a bit different for the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done the whole 'not at home thing too' unfortunately the girls are too loud and it's apparent we're home :( These cupcakes are super simple and they are great for the kiddies I made 14 and I had to hide some for daddy. xx

      Delete